Question 3: Issues over the next years

Nuno Garcia ngarcia at NGARCIA.NET
Wed Oct 5 15:34:50 CEST 2011

Hi all:

As you may have read before, I am more on the technical side of the
Internet, than on the legal aspect. Sometimes I find discussions that
are "too legal" somewhat hard to follow. So I'll focus my response on
the technical issues regarding ICANN.

ICANN is a peculiar structure because it rules an area apparently
apart from Government interests, but yet it receives its legitimacy
from the acceptance of users world wide.

Yet this may not be like this forever, and steps are already being
taken to create additional DNS structures. And technically this is not
only viable, but also very challenging and interesting. So I see a lot
of issues to be assessed in ICANN as to make the overall domain name
structure sound and cohese, and not all of these issues involve taking
decisions on the TLD structure - some of them are related to the
motivations users like us may have to start using a superset of the
DNS structure as it is right now.

BTW, you can see some info about me in www.linkedin.com/in/nunogarcia,
or in my very outdated website www.ngarcia.net.

Warm regards,