Candidate Question 1: NCSG Particpation

Debra Hughes HughesDeb at USA.REDCROSS.ORG
Wed Oct 5 16:50:56 CEST 2011

All,

Generally, I think NSCG can increase participation from its members by
considering ways to improve how we communicate the pending work/projects
being discussed and clearly explain how NCSG members can participate in
that work. For example, the Policy calls the NCSG conducts before the
GNSO Council meetings are a great opportunity for NCSG members to hear
the pending issues and participate in the dialog, but attendance has
been low.  Perhaps we can increase participation by using social media
tools and other communication vehicles to let the NCSG members know when
those calls are scheduled and announce the important topics that are
planned for discussion/debate at the upcoming GNSO Council meeting.  I
suspect there are NCSG members that are excellent with and enjoy these
types of forums and tasks.  Targeted outreach to noncommercial users,
using our existing networks and contacts could be explored.  (For
example I could engage contacts among the more than 180 National
Societies within the International Red Cross/Red Crescent Movement to
help reach out to NGOs, community groups and volunteers).  Another idea
may be to try to schedule the NCSG Policy calls for several months at a
time to allow NCSG members to place the Policy Call on their calendars
well in advance of the meeting. NCSG members are stretched thin and
often with multiple commitments and our participation in NCSG activities
are sometimes impacted by other work or civic obligations.

Also, the NCSG Chair can work with the NCSG Councilors and other NCSG
members (like the Executive Committee) to contact NCSG members that are
listed as active, (but less involved)  and members that are currently
inactive, and ask them what NCSG can do to help them become involved at
the level that makes sense for them and/or their organization.  This
could be done by a free survey tool.  By contacting the NCSG members,
NCSG leadership may learn valuable information from its members about
their interests in ICANN, answer questions and learn how NCSG can
improve how it supports its members.

Perhaps engagement is low because members don't know how to engage in
ICANN or where to start. NCSG Councilors could work with NCSG leadership
to provide informational sessions that explain the ICANN community and
the policy-development process to members.  For example, NCSG Councilors
could work with the NCSG chair to host a webinar for NCSG members (new
and old) that explains and provides a refresher on "ICANN 101 or ICANN
Basics", that could include topics like, ICANN leadership, overview of
the GNSO, how to join and participate in Work Groups, how to use the
ICANN's wiki/online tools, explaining acronyms, and other topics that
help NCSG members understand how ICANN works and the important issues
being discussed at meetings.  Although ICANN provides policy overviews
before each Public Meeting and provides "newcomer information" at ICANN
Meetings, some of our members are not able to take advantage of these
resources and perhaps this is an opportunity our stakeholder group can
provide for its membership, or NSCG can consider ways to supplement the
ICANN orientation process.

Thanks for the opportunity to continue to represent the NCSG.

Debbie
Debra Y. Hughes, Senior Counsel
American Red Cross