Candidate Question 1: NCSG Particpation

Joy Liddicoat joy at APC.ORG
Thu Oct 6 08:22:02 CEST 2011

Hi all
One key to getting more members is giving more people a stake in why, for
all its imperfections, ICANN and its various bodies, like the GNSO, need to
work and why these need to work now. There are opportunities to raise this
awareness and increase engagement among wider civil society groups which are
becoming increasingly concerned about government, and non-government,
actions in relation to the internet, but are still unclear about what the
DNS is and how the co-ordination role of ICANN works.

But greater participation is not just about increasing current member
numbers, but also ensuring that current members actively participate so that
the widest possible range of NCSG voices is available to help guide
decision-making and ensure accountability.
Better engagement from existing members could be achieved in several ways
(and I acknowledge some great suggestions from other candidates). In
addition, members' competing priorities can often be managed if they have
more time to plan ahead. It might be useful to have consultation and an
annual programme of work (including thematic issues) to help members know
what to expect and roughly when the topics they are interested in will come
up, so that the broad cycle of work is clear.

APC has global network in more than 35 countries and network members are
keen to find ways to engage more in GNSO and ICANN related activities. But
some find the complexity of processes and apparent size of the work
programme are barriers to engagement on the 1 or 2 issues they feel strongly
about. My responsibility, if elected, is to stay in regular contact with APC
members and encourage their participation in NCSG.

Finally, as representatives, the Chair and Council Members have
responsibilities to ensure that their participation reflects the diversity
of the groups whose interests they represent. Keeping an open mind, being
prepared to listen, making constructive practical suggestions, and
exhibiting strong values based decision-making are all great ways to deliver
on those responsibilities to NSCG members.

Joy