Candidate Question 1: NCSG Particpation

Nuno Garcia ngarcia at NGARCIA.NET
Wed Oct 5 15:05:52 CEST 2011

HI, I'm sorry I'm getting to emails right now, I've been travelling.

I have a strong point of view regarding increasing participation in NCSG.

First, I acknowledge that there is an underlying statistical
phenomenon: the more of us, the more participation we shall have.

Furthermore, the more participation, the more meaningful the
discussions will be.

So the question boils down to: how do we increase the number of
interested persons in NCSG.

I have been doing this with my graduate students (recently), invinting
them to be active and join the NCSG. I believe this is the right way
to go, but possibly not the only way, so this is, at the end, just a
partial answer.

Right now, I invite all the members in the list to advocate to friends
and colleagues, to join in. Each one of us could be the gateway to add
3 or 4 more members each week.

Another way of evangelizing the NCSG and the importance of the
discussions we have the privilege to follow, is to make some of these
discussions circulate among friends and colleagues. I often forward
important discussions to my students (after dully anonymized, of
course).

Warm regards,

Nuno Garcia