Question about NCUC faq relating to membership

Tamir Israel tisrael at CIPPIC.CA
Mon Nov 14 20:03:12 CET 2011

Hi there,

I just wanted to clarify if you're objection is to attempts at assessing
'real non-commercial' in general, or to specific line-drawing with respect
to one application (Olympic committee). If the objective is to ensure true
representation of non-commercial interests, legal (or .org) non-profit
status is not enough, I think. It would be far too easy to game, as any
commercial interest can quite easily set up a non-profit wing. In fact, it's
fairly common practice for industry or business groups to set up non-profits
precisely for the purpose of advancing commercial interests. I can think of
many examples.

The legal criteria for 'non-profit' relate to financial structuring, not to
'interests advanced'. There do not appear to be any requirements for .org
registration. Given this, I think it is incumbent upon NCSG to do some sort
of assessment to ensure that it remains representative of non-commercial
interests.

Best,

Tamir

  _____