NCUC elections for Chair and EC

William Drake william.drake at UZH.CH
Thu Nov 17 12:24:42 CET 2011

regarding Alain Berranger's statement:

On Nov 16, 2011, at 11:56 PM, Alain Berranger wrote:

> regarding Bill Drake' statement:
>
> ...NPOC (which also didn't have a rip roaring debate over the selection of its people, .e.g. http://forum.icann.org/lists/npoc-voice/msg00012.html)...
>
> Please note - as a new constituency perhaps not a surprise - that we have clearly indicated that the current NPOC leadership is interim and that we have an upcoming election in process... you have to start somewhere and the current NPOC interim leadership is just that, a start…

I was clearly referring to the matter of constituency selections of reps to the NCSG PC and merely noting that in neither case was this a big deal that provoked debate.  But on the unrelated note, it is good to hear of the election in process, and I look forward to hearing more.

> given the recent state of affairs between the two constituencies and the continued inappropriate tone and personal gang bashing used again by NCUC/NCSG leadership in this current debate,

Unclear what this refers to.  But in your absence we had a perfectly congenial SG call last night in which there was agreement to launch an effort to identify common ground on LEA/privacy &FOE issues, and an NCUC offer of support for a NPOC co-sponsored motion in Council.

> our new members may not be that interested in running for office and elect to stay away from this sub-culture of aggressive personalized tone!

A couple people have had a heated disagreement in recent days.  Quelle horreur!  I suppose this must explain why there have only been 60 messages on the NPOC list over the past two years, most of them from you.

> That said and having to witness NCUC dirty laundry washed in public (why don't you please redevelop your own NCUC listserve and spare NPOC membership such undignified tone of debate)... I find Avri's request quite reasonable…

First you complain about people having a disagreement about an NCUC matter on the list, then you take sides in the disagreement.  Neat trick!

The thinking in NCUC was that we should not split the list because it would reinforce the silo mentality and there might be little traffic on a SG list.  But given that only one NPOC person participates on the latter anyway, I at least would be willing to reconsider this stance along the lines you suggest.

Bill