NCUC elections for Chair and EC

Alain Berranger alain.berranger at GMAIL.COM
Thu Nov 17 18:57:19 CET 2011

Dear Bill,

Thanks for the clarifications. All points noted and I stand corrected where
needed. It is appreciated.

Yes, I'm fully aware of the relatively civilized tone of the last NCSG-EC
meeting. This is great!...proving there can be disagreement but civility in
our SG.

If I may, where I think you are perhaps missing the point I was trying to
make, is that I'm not concerned  at all about heated debates - they are
needed and show commitment and interest; what I'm really concerned about
are unacceptable aggressive tones and personalized arguments. In fact, some
of it at times has bordered on harassment and would raise formal complaints
in less virtual environments. If a few individuals in NCUC would decide to
stop using aggressive tones, it would go a long way. I'm glad to say I have
never felt such treatment from you.

By the way, the NPOC EC elections were announced before. I was just
reiterating the fact.

Yes, all previous NPOC exchanges were held outside NPOC-Voices because we
had a Trojan horse. This is not the case anymore.

Most NPOC members are new to NCSG listserv and most of what is discussed
there does not make that much sense to them, yet or maybe never - just
learning the ICANN alphabet soup 101 is a challenge! When they see the
self-righteousness and/or aggressive tones used at times, they probably shy
away. The negative messages about NPOC also puzzle them and are probably
creating negative impressions and even doubts about the benefits of joining
NPOC. This in the final analysis is detrimental not only yo NPOC but also
to NCSG and ICANN. Recent statements made on NCSG-Discuss list are litteral
trials of intentions (like we are recruiting new members for voting
purposes only! or if our chair remains silent on NCSG, it means this and
that...). As our members go up the learning curve, I suspect the NPOC
trafic on NCSG will increase. Finally most of the NCUC trafic does not seem
to be too relevant to NPOC, except those rejecting our very existenceand/
or questionning our silence on this or that or from him or her.

Yes, I'm the only one engaging in NCSG-Discuss for NPOC because I don't
mind being bashed from time to time and been seen as a bad guy. In fact, if
you got to know me, I'm pretty devoted to international development and
ICTs for development and stand on my record and my continued involvement in
global NFPs like Global Knowledge Partnership Foundation or defunct FOCAL
and CECI more recently.

Great news that you would support an NCUC listserv... Quelle bonne
nouvelle! With the NCSG made up of two distinct constituencies, I think it
now makes sense to discuss NCUC matters on an NCUC listserv...ditto for
NPOC... and when we have common issues (a lot and often) then we can
discuss on NCSG listserv. Right now, it seems like the NCUC community feels
entitled to using the NCSG space for their NCUC agenda...and apologies to
NPOC, the new kid in the sand box we did not really want to have around
anyway (Check Robin's paper for confirmation of that - that paper still
irritates me to no end!).

There is a great African saying something like (can't remember the author,
sorry):  "...while the tree branches seem to be fighting in the storm, the
roots are embrassing"... I think this metaphor is applicable to the
relation between NPOC and NCUC... when we get to know each other, when all
aggressive tones disappear, we will see what unites us not what divides
us... we need to give it a little time...

Best and looking forward to meeting you,

Alain

--
Alain Berranger, B.Eng, MBA
Member, Board of Directors, CECI,