Internet Freedom

Milton L Mueller mueller at SYR.EDU
Fri Mar 18 18:22:42 CET 2011

Welcome Mohab. It is great to see people in Egypt trying to prevent another internet shutdown!
Perhaps the best way is through constitutional protections that would establish political speech as a protected sphere, and deny your head of state the right to arbitrarily shut down the Internet or other media of communication.

Another important step is to promote liberalization and competition in the telecommunication industry, so that the licensees are not subject to the direct orders of the government, and there is a more diverse environment among suppliers of service.

Of course, these steps have to be institutionalized by Egyptians mainly, although much can be learned from other countries' experience.

From: NCSG-NCUC [mailto:NCSG-NCUC-DISCUSS at LISTSERV.SYR.EDU] On Behalf Of Mohab Altlaity
Sent: Thursday, March 17, 2011 3:19 AM
To: NCSG-NCUC-DISCUSS at LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: [NCSG-NCUC-DISCUSS] Internet Freedom

Hello Everyone;
This is Mohab Altlaity from Egypt ..
I'm new to this mailing list ... i have just joined :) ..

I'm not sure if you discussed this topic before or not ..
It is about the Internet freedom ... how to prevent any country from stopping the Internet in their countries ..
I wanna find a way to prevent what happened before "and can be done again" in some countries against the Internet activists ...

Any ideas?

Mohab Mohammad Altlaity
Embedded SW Engineer,
VIAS Egypt -Valeo Interbranch Automotive Software.
http://www.valeo.com

Mobile: 0106938463