Open letter to ICANN Board for approval of new gTLD program

Avri Doria avri at ACM.ORG
Wed Jun 15 16:33:57 CEST 2011

hi,

I did not sign it after reading because while I agree that the process should come to closure as currently defined, I can't buy into all the discussion of the letter.

And frankly until there is an agreement, at least  in principle, of ways to fund the JASqualified applicants from developing economies, I do not think the plan is read for approval.  I think they can come to closure on this in the given timeframe but at this point they haven't yet.  In this I personally support the GAC's position, which incidentally does not go against any of the GNSO's bottom-up derived processes, just the Staff's implementation of those principles and recommendations.  The GNSO specifically made a policy decision in favor of differential pricing for at least  the least developed countries; they staff has not made any such provisions.

Personally I will support delay in the process until JASqualified applicants from developing economies are enabled.  If this is just a opportunity for the rich from developed economies, then delay may be appropriate until such time as all possible applicants are given an equal opportunity.

I know this makes for strange bedfellows between the JAS proponents and the IP proponents, but until such time as JASqualified applicants are properly accounted for, that is the sad reality.

a.
personal viewpoint

On 15 Jun 2011, at 10:10, Milton L Mueller wrote:

> I just signed the petition. I am not as enthusiastic about new gTLDs as the petition is, but I signed it in order to counter those who are trying to block/further delay/manipulate the result. Those obstructionist moves are driven by the wrong motives and undermine bottom up, non-governmental governance models.
>
> --MM

------
Pick your poison: Kool-Aid or Hemlock!