Open letter to ICANN Board for approval of new gTLD program

Milton L Mueller mueller at SYR.EDU
Wed Jun 15 16:10:18 CEST 2011

I just signed the petition. I am not as enthusiastic about new gTLDs as the petition is, but I signed it in order to counter those who are trying to block/further delay/manipulate the result. Those obstructionist moves are driven by the wrong motives and undermine bottom up, non-governmental governance models.
--MM
From: NCSG-NCUC [mailto:NCSG-NCUC-DISCUSS at LISTSERV.SYR.EDU] On Behalf Of Mary.Wong at LAW.UNH.EDU
Sent: Monday, June 13, 2011 11:48 PM
To: NCSG-NCUC-DISCUSS at LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: [NCSG-NCUC-DISCUSS] Open letter to ICANN Board for approval of new gTLD program

Dear all,

This petition, being circulated amongst some ICANN participants, may be of interest; it urges the Board to approve the new gTLD program when it has its special meeting in Singapore this coming Monday (20 June): http://www.petitions24.com/newtlds

It also touches on questions such as consensus, multi-stakeholder input and ICANN's credibility and accountability issues, which have been regular topics of discussion on this list.

Cheers
Mary

Mary W S Wong
Professor of Law
Chair, Graduate IP Programs
Director, Franklin Pierce Center for IP
UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE SCHOOL OF LAW
Two White Street
Concord, NH 03301
USA
Email: mary.wong at law.unh.edu<mailto:mary.wong at law.unh.edu>