Description of Charter approval and Election Process for July-October 2011

Avri Doria avri at ACM.ORG
Mon Jul 25 23:21:45 CEST 2011

Hi,

We have two voting events:

- the charter
- the elections

The current cutoff is so that the charter vote can get started and hopefully the new charts will be approved.  The cutoff for people to check in for elections will be a month before those elections.  People can keep checking-in even after the charter vote begins, they just won't be added to the charter ballot.  I assume they will be added to the election vote as long as they check in before that vote begins.  I say I assume, because there will be a new EC before that and that EC will elect a new interim Chair for the NCSG so I don't expect that I will be responsible for the executive duties any longer at that point.  But then again the charter I hope we will have just approved does say that any active member will be included in any ballot:

> 4.5 Member Voting Eligibility:
>
> Any NCSG active Member who has been an active member for at least thirty (30) days before the date of the election is eligible to nominate candidates, vote in NCSG elections, and propose amendments to the NCSG Charter.

> 2.2.8. Inactive Membership
>
> Before each annual election, the NCSG Chair shall send an email to all members, active or suspended, asking them to update their contact information before the election. If no response is received by the requested deadline, an attempt will be made to reach the member by other means, e.g. telephone calls or requests though other contacts. If, after reasonable attempts fail to reach a member or its representative and confirmation of contact information cannot be completed, that member will be moved to an inactive members list and an announcement will be made on the public discussion list. Once on the inactive members list, the inactive member will not be included in the membership count required to establish election results.
>
> An inactive member can be removed from the inactive members list by updating its contact information. An inactive member can remain on the inactive list indefinitely.

I extended the charter vote to this long to support requests for a longer charter vote.    So at this point, I am not inclined to extend this checkin on my own. But of course the Executive Committee, on seeing this request can decide otherwise.

Thanks  for checking in.  As you were active on the NCSG-Discuss list and in WGs, I knew you were active and as I said, those I found active addresses for, I just marked as active.  Perhaps you can let the people in NPOC know they should be answering the email they get from  me asking them to check-in - they should have all received something.  I do not know if the messages I sent on this to the NCSG discuss as a secondary measure got to them, but I was told never to send anything to the NPOC list, so I have to depend on the kindness of others to pass on important notices.   Perhaps there is something to the 'suggestion' some people have made that at least someone from every member of the NCSG, should be monitoring this list.

thanks

a.