Updated membership lists & the charter adoption ballot

Avri Doria avri at ACM.ORG
Tue Aug 2 21:36:45 CEST 2011

Hi,

The 60% is of active voters.  So yes, if you are on the active list and don't vote, that effectively counts as a vote against.

What we do if the charter doesn't pass is a really good question:

If it is because of content, then we would go back to the Board to negotiate some more.  However, since no one has brought up any issues with this charter since the comment period and the approval of the Board, I am hoping few are harboring complaints strong enough to cause them to vote again based on content.  If we fail, because too many vote against approving it, I will then ask those who voted against to tell us why.  Then we go to the Board and figure out what comes next.

On the other hand if it is because not enough of the active members are active enough to vote, then I do not know what we do.

(Personally, if the ballot fails to approve the charter, think I throw up my hands in despair and find a deep hole to crawl into.)

However, to counter out the second possiblity, once I am back from vacation, I will see how many of the active members have actually voted.  And if it isn't 100%, I will pester, cajole and plead with those on the active members list to get their votes in until the voting period ends.

a.

On 2 Aug 2011, at 15:16, Dan Krimm wrote:

> On Tue, August 2, 2011 11:52 am, Avri Doria wrote:
>> For this ballot to pass, 60% of all active votes must be in favor of
>> adopting the charter.  At the time of this ballot, The NCSG has 155 votes
>> recorded among active voters.  94 votes in favor will be required for the
>> charter to be adopted.
>

> Not to cause trouble or anything, just a couple of procedural questions:
>
> Is the 60% a proportion of all active voters, or all votes cast (which
> could be less)?  I'm guessing from your description it is 60% of active
> *voters* (not votes cast), and even if "turnout" is less than 100% (of the
> 155), the charter still requires 94 votes in favor in order to be adopted,
> regardless of how many total votes are cast.
>
> What would happen in the charter process if there are less than 94 votes
> in favor?
>
> Thanks,
> Dan
>

> --
> Any opinions expressed in this message are those of the author alone and
> do not necessarily reflect any position of the author's employer.

------
Pick your poison: Kool-Aid or Hemlock!