COICA

Kathy Kleiman Kathy at KATHYKLEIMAN.COM
Thu Sep 30 23:36:54 CEST 2010

  Hi All,
I wanted to share the latest -- that due to an adjournment of Congress,
this bill was not "marked up" and passed by the Senate Committee this
morning.  I include an EFF update below. Further, it was amended
yesterday, and I am attaching the amended version (unfortunately, it was
not released as a redline). Best, Kathy

http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2010/09/victory-internet-censorship-bill-delayed

September 30th, 2010
Email This
<mailto:?subject=EFF:%20Victory:%20Internet%20Censorship%20Bill%20is%20Delayed,%20For%20Now%20%20&body=This%20mornings%20Politico%20brought%20with%20it%20great%20news%20for%20those%20who%20care%20about%20free%20speech%20and%20fair%20use%20online:A%20markup%20on%20SJC%20Chairman%20Leahy%E2%80%99s%20IP%20infringement%20bill%20was%20postponed%20late%20Wednesday,%20as%20staffers%20anticipated%20the%20chamber%20would%20finish%20legislative...%0D%0A%0D%0Ahttp://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2010/09/victory-internet-censorship-bill-delayed>
Digg This
<http://digg.com/submit?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.eff.org%2Fdeeplinks%2F2010%2F09%2Fvictory-internet-censorship-bill-delayed&title=Victory%3A+Internet+Censorship+Bill+is+Delayed%2C+For+Now++>
Post this to Reddit
<http://www.reddit.com/submit?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.eff.org%2Fdeeplinks%2F2010%2F09%2Fvictory-internet-censorship-bill-delayed>
Share this blog post with delicious
<http://del.icio.us/post?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.eff.org%2Fdeeplinks%2F2010%2F09%2Fvictory-internet-censorship-bill-delayed&title=Victory%3A+Internet+Censorship+Bill+is+Delayed%2C+For+Now++>
Share this on Facebook
<http://www.facebook.com/share.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.eff.org%2Fdeeplinks%2F2010%2F09%2Fvictory-internet-censorship-bill-delayed&t=Victory%3A+Internet+Censorship+Bill+is+Delayed%2C+For+Now++>
Tweet this blog post
<http://twitter.com/home?status=Victory%3A+Internet+Censorship+Bill+is+Delayed%2C+For+Now++%20http%3A%2F%2Feff.org%2Fn%2F11659&src=eff.org>
Dent this blog post
<http://identi.ca/notice/new?status_textarea=Victory%3A+Internet+Censorship+Bill+is+Delayed%2C+For+Now++%20http%3A%2F%2Feff.org%2Fn%2F11659&src=eff.org>

  Victory: Internet Censorship Bill is Delayed, For Now
  <http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2010/09/victory-internet-censorship-bill-delayed>

/Deeplink by Tim Jones <http://www.eff.org/about/staff/tim>/

This morning's Politico <http://www.politico.com/morningtech/> brought
with it great news for those who care about free speech and fair use online:

    A markup on SJC Chairman Leahy’s IP infringement bill was postponed
    late Wednesday, as staffers anticipated the chamber would finish
    legislative work and adjourn for recess before the hearing could
    commence. The change in plans should delight some of the bill’s
    critics, at least, who expressed concern that the legislation was
    moving forward quickly.

Translation: The Senate Judiciary Committee won't be considering the
dangerously flawed
<https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2010/09/censorship-internet-takes-center-stage-online>
"Combating Online Infringement and Counterfeits Act" (COICA) bill until
after the midterm elections, at least.

This is a real victory! The entertainment industry and their allies in
Congress had hoped this bill would be quickly approved by the Senate
Judiciary Committee with no debate before the Senators went home for the
October recess.

Massive thanks to all of you who used our Action Center to write to your
Senators to oppose this bill. Thanks as well to the 87 Internet
scientists and engineers whose open letter to Congress
<http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2010/09/open-letter> played a key role in
today's success, and to all the other voices that helped sound the alarm.

Make no mistake, though: this bill will be back soon enough, and
Congress will again need to hear from concerned citizens like you. So
stay tuned to EFF.org for any new developments.

I'm interested in this as it will impact directly to everyone.  I'm
standing in the anti-censorship side and have been fighting for this in
my country for many years.  I'm not very familiar with the US law but
will try to follow up closely.  BTW, I've just submitted this issue to
my Thai Netizen group and likely to update this news to the Electronic
Commission Transaction meeting next week (I'm one of the subcommittee).