[Fwd: Re: [Ncu-exec] South America]

Carlos A. Afonso ca at CAFONSO.CA
Sat Sep 12 16:44:54 CEST 2009

I think the reason is we make a very poor use of online resources,
always recalling we do all this on a voluntary basis and in these
conditions the work already done is great.

But the fact is that the flow of information sharing and decisions taken
which happens in our lists is not reflected in the only space people
really visit -- our Web portal, which is now in an
information-monetizing space.

I personally strongly resist using any commercial "social networking"
space, which is no more than a data-mining monetizing concoction making
money on other people's information, and of course mostly these
information speculators are USA-based.

However, I understand that without a project (to be funded) to develop
our space in an autonomous way (using Drupal and the like, and not
having to donate our content to monetizers) and/or fund people to keep
information organized and updated in a regular way, there is not much
else we can do.

I am ready to help draft a project if some more people volunteer to help
and we could try and seek funds for it (could ISOC/PIR fund it?) -- if
people agree my suggestion (and my "weird" opinion on monetizers) makes
sense, of course.

frt rgds

--c.a.