[Fwd: Re: [Ncu-exec] South America]

Avri Doria avri at LTU.SE
Sat Sep 12 17:19:03 CEST 2009

On 12 Sep 2009, at 10:44, Carlos A. Afonso wrote:

> I am ready to help draft a project if some more people volunteer to
> help
> and we could try and seek funds for it (could ISOC/PIR fund it?) -- if
> people agree my suggestion (and my "weird" opinion on monetizers)
> makes
> sense, of course.

count me as a volunteer.

there are a fair number of FOSS possibilities, but as anyone who has
worked with FOSS options eventually learns, FOSS is not free it either
requires either  sweat equity or hired help.

so i can help with writing funds applications, but will also help, to
the extent of my abilities, with investigating and setting up the FOSS
options while waiting for deliverance from people with funding.  I
will, shortly have a fair amount of volunteer time that was dedicated
to gnso council chair  activities (averaging about 30 hours/week for
anyone who contemplates such a role) that i can dedicate some part of
to this task.

as for the principle of not giving my info to those who collect it for
data mining,  it is a personal weakness (i use a google phone and
gmail and twitter and ... after all) but i have already given up on
that from a personal perspective (i use a google phone and gmail and
twitter and ... after all).  i tend to think we need to worry about
the laws that let them use it as opposed to their abilities to collect
it.  but i have no issue with helping others avoid the surrender i
have already made.

and apologies if i insulted anyone by mentioning that if they had the
time for the role they had the time for ...

a.