NCUC & NCSG diversity & participation

Robin Gross robin at IPJUSTICE.ORG
Thu Aug 6 18:37:13 CEST 2009

What is also troubling is that our existing membership already
includes many members from these categories.   We have at least dozen
consumer organizations - many members of the Trans Atlantic Consumer
Dialogue and several new African consumer groups, so they are here.
Many just don't have the budgets internally to make ICANN a priority
- it is expensive to fly around the world every few months and pay
for $20 club sandwiches at the Hilton.

What ICANN is looking for are "consumer groups" who are in fact
funded by business - and not true noncommercial organizations, but
this will take away a noncommercial council seat.  Another chip away
from noncommercial users rights.

The comment about libraries - we have libraries too.  We are proud
that Egypt's Library of Alexandria is a new member of NCUC - one of
the members that ICANN doesn't think deserves a vote for lack of
"representation" and "diversity".   The irony of this barely 10-yr
old Internet organization telling the ancient Library of Alexandria
it doesn't deserve a vote on Internet policy is beyond arrogance.  It
is dangerous.    ICANN staff would drive the Internet into the ground
if that is what it took to control it.

Robin

On Aug 6, 2009, at 3:16 AM, Adam Peake wrote:

> At 11:17 AM +0200 8/6/09, William Drake wrote:
>> Hi Adam,
>>
>> I'm fine with restating openness to dialogue etc as you suggest.
>> Not that we haven't before.
>>
>> Would like to pick up on one specific bit:
>>
>> On Aug 6, 2009, at 9:37 AM, Adam Peake wrote:
>>
>>> The NCUC does not have membership (or significant membership)
>>> from international consumer organizations (noted in many recent
>>> comments from the board and others as a missing constituent in
>>> all of ICANN), nor for the largest academic communities,
>>> libraries, R&D, etc.
>>
>> This may well be "noted" by the board and others but it is
>> patently untrue http://ncuc.syr.edu/members.htm.   Just more
>> disinformation.
>> (BTW I also noted some on the transcript of the ALAC call, e.g.
>> Nick saying that the NCUC proposal does not allow board approval
>> of constituencies...facts don't matter if one can't be bothered to
>> learn them).
>>
>> Which is not to say that it wouldn't be great to have more groups
>> with "consumer" in their title etc.
>

> Bill, I know the NCUC membership has been growing, both
> organizations and individuals.  But I got the impression ICANN was
> hoping (expecting) participation from groups representing new non-
> commercial players, and also larger national and international
> representative organizations. I think the commercial side of the
> user house was expecting this too, at least that's how I read some
> of the emails.
>
> Example in the library space, ALA has been a member for many years,
> but there are hundreds of similar organizations around the world,
> and then there's IFLA <http://www.ifla.org/>
>
> There's been a lot of talk about consumer organizations: most
> countries have a national consumer organization, or many industry/
> sector related groups, and there are regional and international
> bodies (Consumers International, Jeremy Malcolm now works for).
> These organizations are being encouraged to form a constituency in
> their own right, but that shouldn't stop them transitioning from
> the NCUC, or NCUC trying to help that constituency to form.
>
> Each year the board selects a member of the NomCom to represent
> "Academia & Research" (you'd think an NCUC related group).  They
> just selected a guy called Jan Gruntorád, CEO of CESNET, the
> Academic research network for the Czech Republic. Past selections
> have been people with similar backgrounds, large academic R&D
> networks (NRENs). Board obviously feels that it's a non-commercial
> community not represented in the NCUC (except for KAIST.)
>
> Very difficult to sell ICANN to these types of organization, I
> don't see the board being able to do a good job of this without
> help, and the NCUC could do well by offering to help.  It'll take
> outreach and money.
>
> About Nick's comment.  Perhaps an example of people forgetting what
> was actually in the NCUC proposal because we've not been asked to
> [...]

IP JUSTICE
Robin Gross, Executive Director
p: +1-415-553-6261    f: +1-415-462-6451
w: http://www.ipjustice.org     e: robin at ipjustice.org