NCUC & NCSG diversity & participation

Carlos Afonso ca at RITS.ORG.BR
Thu Aug 6 14:15:34 CEST 2009

By the way, our organization in Brazil does not have "consumer" in the
title, but a significant part of our lobby and advocacy work is
defending  final users against arbitrary violations of consumer rights
by big telcos and cable companies, in partnership with organizations
such as IDEC (one of the most important NGOs in Brazil which does have
"consumer" in the title). We provide, together with NIC.br, technical
grounds and comparative policy information for IDEC to argue in favor of
consumers etc.

So, count us in as "consumer rights organization".

But this is not the point. I am sure some in the Icann staff will do
whatever they can to minimize NCUC's representation importance, but this
is probably not a path to success. One can extend this argument to
request we have balanced representation of NGOs and academic
organizations in all fields in which NGOs and academics act, which is
not a requirement (or practice) for any other constituency recognized by
Icann.

[]s fraternos

--c.a.

Rits - Rede de Informações para o Terceiro Setor
Instituto Nupef