[ncdnhc-discuss] Proposed Resolution

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Thu Oct 3 23:01:20 CEST 2002

At 04:44 PM 10/3/2002 -0400, KathrynKL at aol.com wrote:
>The tremendous underrepresentation of numerous groups in the ICANN process
>is a matter of record and documentation.

Kathryn, you are correct.  I've noticed a severe deficiency of
red-heads.  People who are left-handed also seem to be in short supply.

In other words, you can list an infinite range of definable groups.  There
is nothing interesting or useful in being able to cite such statistics.

What matters is which ones actually care enough about the topic to show up
and declare the details of their concerns.

ICANN has had lots of publicity.  It also has had the most accessible
process of any global public effort.

So where have these "underrepresented" folks been?

>  The promises of ICANN to improve that underrepresentation in the reform
> process are known to the Department of Commerce and a major reason why
> the renewal was granted.

ICANN cannot make people show up, when they show no interest.  None.

>ICANN will only succeed if many voices of Internet stakeholders are heard
>loudly and clearly

It is very difficult to hear someone if they choose not to speak.

d/