[ncdnhc-discuss] DNSO "dues" and voting rights

Dany Vandromme vandrome at renater.fr
Wed Oct 2 07:09:14 CEST 2002

Milton Mueller wrote:

> In my opinion, it makes no sense for us to pay any
> DNSO dues at this time. The loss of "voting rights" is
> not really a loss at all. I would also like to encourage our
> Adcom and NC members to coordinate this refusal to
> pay dues with the other two constituencies that have
> not paid dues. There is greater strength in such
> coordination.
>
> I am not opposed in principle to the payment of DNSO
> dues, however, there are two things that justify our
> refusal to pay at this time.
>
> 1) Uncertainty regarding the structure of the "reformed"
> (deformed?) ICANN and its GNSO.
>
> 2) Uncertainty regarding the role of the new .org
> administration. If the leading candidate (Afilias/PIR)
> wins, they have promised to pay the dues, but of course
> the fulfillment of this promise, like many others, needs
> to be secured.
>
> Despite my support and appreciation for the work our
> Adcom members have been doing, I think they should have
> been more active and shown more leadership on the question
> of DNSO dues. This should not have happened silently and by
> default.
>
> --MM
-
I am not fully in line with Milton about this.
I am still naive and feel that a debt is nothing else than a debt.
To link payment of past dues to new or future conditions is only a way
to seek for not paying.
As Danny Younger mentionned, there is real money concerns behind this,
like supporting the salary and cost of DNSO secretariat. I do not feel
that we should endanger these charges, since it may hurt individual
budgets at the end.

Considering the adcom, I am glad to hear that there is one.
Since the last election in February, the Adcom has proved to be totally
inexistent, except for the individual actions of Harold, and a few
random show-ups at the NC teleconf for others, for which there has been
no concertation with constituency neither before or after.
The web site (www.ncdnhc.org) has been moved to peacenet and never
touched since before Accra!
I bet that no-one in the constituency would be able to make a list of
real members.
There is really nothing to be proud of!

Dany

Dany VANDROMME                    |  Directeur du GIP RENATER

                Reseau National de Telecommunications
         pour la Technologie, l'Enseignement et la Recherche

                                  |  ENSAM
Tel   :  +33 (0)1 53 94 20 30     |  151 Boulevard de l'Hopital
Fax   :  +33 (0)1 53 94 20 31     |  75013 Paris
E-mail: Dany.Vandromme at renater.fr |  FRANCE