[ncdnhc-discuss] DNSO "dues" and voting rights

Iliya Nickelt-Czycykowski iczycykowski at aip.de
Wed Oct 2 22:44:18 CEST 2002

OK, so we are not the only one in debt to the DNSO. There may even be
some political reason for us to boycott the payments. Alas, the real
reason is that we simply don't have the money and never will. There
was the idea of getting funds from Markle or otherwise, but it seems
this never worked out and I don't see a chance under the current
conditions to get anyone to pay for us. We will never raise this money
on our own. You can try to ignore the bitter truth for some time, but
when they start to carry your furniture away, you might have to face
reality. Moreover, with Markle having stopped travel funding, the
little money available is better spend for that reason.

I'm not so sure if they really want to take away voting rights (and
also I never liked the whole thing with the separate DNSO budget to
begin with). However, if they do, I hope we won't have to realize that
there are only few people left who care about it. Icann has shifted
its priorities, and credibility is not a primary.

Money is not our main issue (remember the "Non" in our name?). We
should focus on improvements to the new structure, in case there is
anybody left here who wants to change Icann from inside. I think it is
would be polite to tell the DNSO that we pay the little we have and
fining us makes no sense.

One solution, like last year, is that adcom sets up a small resolution
saying that we throw ourselves to the feet of the have-been-rich
commercials and plead for mercy.

The only other alternative I see: Do nothing, hide and wait until
something else happens. (The current adcom, I'm sorry to say, is quite
likely to opt for that.) Maybe we are restructured and our debts
disappear in the process. I think it is not fair, Milton, to obscure
our financial problems by political opposition. We should have done
that some time ago. But in general, yes, we should not pay fees. (I
voted against that in Stockholm)

Also, though not exactly beeing a frequent poster, let's go on to
serious topics.

	--iliya
(who's organisation has not paid for this year -- yet)