[ncdnhc-discuss] DNSO "dues" and voting rights

Milton Mueller Mueller at syr.edu
Wed Oct 2 00:03:18 CEST 2002

In my opinion, it makes no sense for us to pay any
DNSO dues at this time. The loss of "voting rights" is
not really a loss at all. I would also like to encourage our
Adcom and NC members to coordinate this refusal to
pay dues with the other two constituencies that have
not paid dues. There is greater strength in such
coordination.

I am not opposed in principle to the payment of DNSO
dues, however, there are two things that justify our
refusal to pay at this time.

1) Uncertainty regarding the structure of the "reformed"
(deformed?) ICANN and its GNSO.

2) Uncertainty regarding the role of the new .org
administration. If the leading candidate (Afilias/PIR)
wins, they have promised to pay the dues, but of course
the fulfillment of this promise, like many others, needs
to be secured.

Despite my support and appreciation for the work our
Adcom members have been doing, I think they should have
been more active and shown more leadership on the question
of DNSO dues. This should not have happened silently and by
default.

--MM