[ncdnhc-discuss] CPTech statement on GA rebid vote

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Fri May 24 20:40:54 CEST 2002

At 11:57 PM 5/24/2002 +0900, Adam Peake wrote:
>Dave, to call the list who voted "chronically-dissatisfied, vigorous
>complainers" is bullshit.

Adam,

You must be reading a different GA list than I have, over the entire life
of the group.  Both the GA and the NCDNHC are particularly remarkable for
their looking more like the disloyal opposition, rather than participants
in a constructive process.

At any rate, the point of my previous posting was to underscore the reality
that one can do all sorts of wonderful statistical calculations on group
behavior, and those calculations mean nothing if the nature of the sampling
is not considered.

What and who does the GA represent?  Honestly.  Really.

When there is an accurate and meaningful summary of the GA "community",
then there will be a basis for making claims about the meaning of GA consensus.

You don't like my summary of the nature of the GA community?  Fine.  Offer
one that can be substantiated by the record.  (And, yes, I believe that is
what I did.)

>Look down the list and you will people who have contributed significant
>unpaid effort over many years.

There is a difference between putting time in, versus doing something
constructive.  And there is a difference between the actions of
individuals, versus the actions of a group.

I was commenting on the aggregate nature and behavior of the GA.  Of COURSE
there are some individuals within the GA who are good and helpful
people.  However the mere presence -- and even the mere effort -- of such
people does not automatically make the GA good and helpful.

>Remind us: just what contribution have you made to ICANN?  Pointers to
>papers, committees joined, advice offered (not just replies to the work of
>those many people you dislike, but some original thoughts of your own.)

That you seem to feel I have not made any useful contributions is, itself,
significant Adman.  I'm also amused at your apparent lack of knowledge
about the history of ICANN.  I suspect that you are merely discounting that
history, rather than forgetting it.

More relevant to the current issue is that the pattern of personal attack
has become the real hallmark of dialogue in the GA and the NCDNHC.

So, I thank you for demonstrating the truth of the original assessment I
offered

d/