[ncdnhc-discuss] Board conflict of interest on .org

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Mon May 20 18:19:04 CEST 2002

Let us be clear about the nature and details of Milton's original posting:

At 04:10 PM 5/13/2002 -0400, Milton Mueller wrote:
>We were
>particularly amazed by how the Board, without any warning
>or any supporting public record, reversed position on
>giving .org to a non-profit organization,

Where is the basis for claiming the Board originally had a position?

>Now it is possible to understand better what happened.

If you think Milton was seeking "discussion" note that his language is
definitive, rather than questioning.  Milton claims to have the answer.

>One of the companies that has been making it clear that
>they want to be involved with .org is Neulevel. Before Accra,
>they were making it known that four people were assigned to
>the .org bid full time.

Having participated in a Neustar bidding effort I can tell you 4 actually
is a very small number.

One also wonders about the basis for Milton's assertion of the number.

More importantly, how can Neustar's staff allocation be at all relevant to
the claimed goal of Milton's posting?

>According to the transcript, the Board member who pushed the
>Board away from non-profit was Robt. Blokzijl.

As Kent listed for us, the transcript shows quite clearly that Rob did no
such thing!

Rob's total contribution to the question of the requirements for a registry
were to make the technical observation that a registry with 3 million
registrants is a large registry and that running a large registry is
different from running one that is smaller.

Many ICANN participants who have the relevant experience have offered
similar observations, over the years.

>And guess what? Mr. Blokzijl has a special relationship to
>Neulevel. His wife was hired by Neulevel a few months after
>they were married. Lynn Blokzijl is the Neulevel representative
>in the Netherlands.

Note that Milton did not bother to find out that Lynn is no longer
affiliated with them.

Other postings have done a good job of making more claims about Lynn, her
Neustar activities, and her history that were simply wrong.

>Maybe this is just a coincidence. Maybe Mr. Blokzijl's insistence
>that .org be given to a company with "demonstrated experience"

Nothing in Rob's language warrants the term "insistence".

And as noted, there is nothing remarkable about his observation that
operational competence is important and that experience with operation of a
large-scale administration operation is relatively rare.

What is far more significant is that anyone would so easily dismiss the
reality that Rob cited.  In this constituency, operational concerns are
treated as if they were trivial, and hence irrelevant to policy making.

In fact, operational concerns are primary and operating a large registry
well is quite difficult.  Verisign/NSI has provided the community with
amble evidence of the many problems that can occur.

>and the Board's subsequent vote to permit commercial applicants
>was unrelated to Neulevel's lobbying campaign. Maybe Neulevel's
>hiring of Mrs. Blokzijl had absolutely nothing to do
>with the fact that she was married to a Board member.

Maybe Milton's constant attacks on individuals is unrelated to his own
tendency towards self-aggrandizement.  Maybe his latest attack is not
merely one more effort to create a platform for himself.

(if you challenge my offering such questions, please ask yourself how they
are materially different from the kind of "questions" that Milton raises.)

>Even if this is all "coincidence," it doesn't make ICANN look
>very good. Mr Blokzijl had better recuse himself from the .org
>redelegation discussion, decision and all other aspects of the
>process.

"Rescue himself"?

If you had any doubt about whether Milton was asking questions and seeking
clarification, or whether Milton was once again making person attacks on
someone's integrity, his closing paragraph eliminates that issue.

Perhaps there is a legitimate COI question to be answered.  Certainly
Milton did not ask it nor has he pursued it.

In fact it is clear that Milton has claimed facts that do not exist and has
grossly distorted the few that do.

If this constituency wants to be taken seriously, it must conduct itself
seriously.  The record of this thread is one more example of the
constituency failing to perform responsibly.

d/