[ncdnhc-discuss] ICANN Reform: Role of ITU

Hill, Richard richard.hill at itu.int
Fri May 3 13:02:58 CEST 2002

I guess that what I should have said with respect to the license plate
analogy is that for telephony, ITU-T keeps track of the equivalent of the
little "country" stickers that you see on cars in Europe, for example "CH"
for Switzerland.  The list of agreed country codes for telephones is
published at:

  http://www.itu.int/ITU-T/inr/index.html

which also has a pointer to national numbering plans, which national plans
are not in any way controlled by ITU-T.  What countries do after the country
code is their business.  ITU-T does not decide to whom to delegate a given
country code, the country decides that.  ITU-T does not decide how many
country codes there should be, there is either one per country ( for
example, 41 for Switzerland) or less than one per country (for example,
countries other than the USA use 1) or more than one per country (for
example, France has 33 and several others for its overseas departments and
territories).  As many codes are assigned as are required "to make sense".
The definition of "what makes sense" is contained in published ITU-T
Recommendations, and administered by the TSB, see sections 5 and 6 of Annex
A of the paper at:

  http://www.itu.int/ITU-T/tsb-director/itut-icann/index.html

With respect to the license plate analogy, IANA has assigned (or delegated)
parts of the IP address space to the several RIRs and ICANN continues that
function, I think.  The RIRs then assign (or delegate) parts of their spaces
to the LIRs, and so forth.

For domain names, if my understanding is correct, ICANN decides how many
there should be, and what they should be called, and to whom to delegate
them.

In addition, ICANN supervises the maintainance of a computer-based, online,
24 by 7 database of the correspondence between the domain name and the
server which implements the delegations.  This is called the root server
system.  There is no equivalent for international telephone numbers.

Unless I'm missing something, in terms of the license plate analogy, the DNS
setup is like having a globlal, hierarchically distributed database of all
license plate numbers, with a private company managing the root server, and
the same private company also deciding the top-level hierarchical structure
of the numbers, and deciding who gets to assign sub-numbers under a given
top level.

Did I get something wrong? Or is it the case that the analogy to bicylces,
cars, and roads is not all that pertinent?

Best,
Richard

Richard Hill
Counsellor, SG2