[ncdnhc-discuss] ICANN Reform: Role of ITU

jefsey jefsey at club-internet.fr
Fri May 3 19:16:42 CEST 2002

Hi! Richard,
yes you missed something. .

On 13:02 03/05/02, Hill, Richard said:
>For domain names, if my understanding is correct, ICANN decides how many
>there should be, and what they should be called, and to whom to delegate them.

The alternative to the ICANN solution is simple:
- either they decide about TLDs and they cann only decide where they have
authority: on the Jon Postel legacy namespace purchaed from the USG, in
concerting with others
- or they register for the worldwide international Intenet what others
decide by their own, helping them concerting

The current situation is that they want to do both. As they cannot because
Govs will object, Lynn wants to be delegate Govs powers, to be a monopoly.
As Kent put it, the complexity is not the DNS, it is to make believe the
DNS is their monopoly.

>In addition, ICANN supervises the maintainance of a computer-based, online,
>24 by 7 database of the correspondence between the domain name and the
>server which implements the delegations.  This is called the root server
>system.  There is no equivalent for international telephone numbers.

No. The ICANN only assumes the centralization of the updates by the TLD
manager of their name server name and IP addresses when they occur. The
resulting file is directly used by many people and there are gowing
concerns that this system architecture puts national security at stake.
This will lead Govs to have their own national services, most probably with
a lot of value added.

The information collection is restricted to the network systems in relation
with the Private Jon Postel Network (Legacy). The others are not listed and
get access either in proosing their own root system adding their
information to the one collected by the ICANN (cf. above) or "stub" files
that the ISP or the private nateowrk system Managers add to the ICANN root.

I note that the non ICANN root are often more accurate about ccTLDs than
the ICANN root due to the delays in updting the information by the ICANN
(IANA) and the USG. Also because of the political interferences inside the
ICANN system.

Any secretary with one hour spare time a day could easily manage that
function. The only problem is for her is to determine the local legitimity
of an entry. It can be certified by the Gov or by the local community
(@large). ITU/T is accustomed to that kind of verification.

jfc