[ncdnhc-discuss] ICANN Reform: role of ITU

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Fri May 3 12:12:38 CEST 2002

Richard,

At 11:17 AM 5/3/2002 +0200, Hill, Richard wrote:
>Mr. Zhao's comment was made in response to Stuart Lynn's request for
>comments regarding the ICANN mission.

A quick review of Stuart's note is instructive in this regard.

In fact he does not give any indication that there is ambiguity to the
mission.  Quite the contrary.

In fact he does not suggest revising or "clarifying" the mission.  Quite
the contrary.

Lynn seeks comments about revisions that will permit ICANN to fulfill that
mission better, rather than fulfilling a different mission.

The rest of Mr. Zhao's note is bascially an offer by the ITU to help.  As
such, it is a fine contribution.  That is why I commented on the only
portion of the note that detracts from the offer.

>Presumably, Stuart was seeking inputs to modify or clarify the mission
>statement quoted below by Dave.  For example, it is not immediately
>obvious that UDRP would be included in the mission quoted below (but note
>that ITU takes no position with repect to UDRP).

I indeed, a UDRP is a derivative, rather than primary, task.  It exists
because it is needed for practical success in achieving a modicum of DNS
name assignment stability.  The differences in DNS name assignees legal
ambiguities and expense before the UDRP, versus now, is testimony to this
necessity.

(Small point of historical note:  The ITU participated in formulating the
original UDRP proposal, through participation in the group that came up
with the idea, namely the IAHC>)

d/

ps. Please say hello to Mr. Zhao.  I have not been to a fax meeting in
quite some time and miss his friendly greetings, as well as Geneva's
incredible views and even more incredible chocolate.