[ncdnhc-discuss] Internet is global=we need central planning

James Love james.love at cptech.org
Thu May 2 05:52:21 CEST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alejandro Pisanty - DGSCA y FQ, UNAM" <apisan at servidor.unam.mx>
> > 1.  Do you believe I am making unrealistic proposals with regard to what
can
> > be decentralized, and what I concede might be centralized?
>
> The degree to which you seem to think that some functions can be
> decentralized appears unrealistic to me. As a prime example, gTLD policy.

     Alejandro, are you saying there is no realistic alternative to having
the ICANN board choose who gets TLDs, telling registry operators what names
they can and cannot use, telling them what business models to follow, and
what prices to charge?  And that none of this can be done by national
governments or regional bodies?    And *all* of these decisions have to be
made by a single centralized body?    I am quite willing to have *some* TLD
policies be made globally.  But I don't see the basis for saying *all* TLD
decisons have to be made by the ICANN board.

  Jamie

James Love mailto:james.love at cptech.org
http://www.cptech.org +1.202.387.8030 mobile +1.202.361.3040