[ncdnhc-discuss] Internet is global=we need central planning

Alejandro Pisanty - DGSCA y FQ, UNAM apisan at servidor.unam.mx
Thu May 2 05:57:53 CEST 2002

James,

I am saying that there has to be central coordination to ensure uniqueness
of identifiers, and policies to ensure stability (you don't want a sudden
void to appear in namespace). That makes it very hard for, say, a govt to
go on its own establishing a gTLD, without some agreements as to how it
will operate. You can maybe envision an ICANN-less world, in which these
agreements are made on a peer-to-peer basis, but I find it unrealistic for
this to occur without a forum where all registries can come together. And
I would be surprised if you agreed for these decisions to be made in a
registry-only closed organization. Which brings in the registrars,
businesses, users, etc., and those with an opinion, like academics,
consumer organizations, etc. Your title here "Internet is global" does
have far reaching consequences; a locally generated TLD would be like a
ccTLD, with responsibilities for those within the country and those
outside (it is meant for location of the country's resources by outsiders
as much as by locals, isn't it?).

All this implies a level of central coordination, not central planning. I
find your subject line misleading in this sense.

Yours,

Alejandro Pisanty

.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .
     Dr. Alejandro Pisanty
Director General de Servicios de Computo Academico
UNAM, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico
Av. Universidad 3000, 04510 Mexico DF Mexico
Tel. (+52-55) 5622-8541, 5622-8542 Fax 5550-8405
http://www.dgsca.unam.mx
*
** 10 Aniversario de Internet Society - www.inet2002.org en Washington, DC
---->> Unete a ISOC Mexico, www.isoc.org