[ncdnhc-discuss] Internet is global=we need central planning

James Love james.love at cptech.org
Wed May 1 19:28:57 CEST 2002

Kent, the dispute he is over *all* decisions.  I have conceded that ICANN
will do stuff, including all sorts of oversight of the naming issues, UDRP,
even the whois issue.  Every legitimate issue that I think ICANN can make a
case for in terms of global policy making.  You really don't acknowledge
this, and this isn't a good faith discussion if you don't.   ICANN doesn't
have to and should not be pushing around labor unions, the WHO and the
airline industry on issues that ICANN has no competence and rationale for
managing.    Basically, the ICANN staff and board are taking a no-compromise
position, they see the DNSO as weak compared to the ASO and PSO, so they
just go wild.   This isn't the path to go down.  Figure out what is truly
essential, and give up the rest.   If not, the resentment and opposition
will continue to grow, and maybe that is not in the best interests of ICANN,
longer run.

 Jamie