[ncdnhc-discuss] Internet is global=we need central planning

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Wed May 1 19:52:48 CEST 2002

At 12:48 PM 5/1/2002 -0400, James Love wrote:
>Maybe Dave Crocker is right.  Maybe the entire world has never figured out
>how to coordinate any global allocation decisions without a single global
>body making *all* of the decisions.

James, is there some reason that you have not yet supplied us with at least
one example of an alternative solution that applies to a similar
administrative task and at a similar scale?

>    On the other hand, maybe Dave Crocker
>is blind to the world around him,

Forgive me.  I thought you were seeking practical solutions, rather than
merely seeking opportunities for ad hominem attacks.

Practical solutions only result from discussions about practical
issues.  You seem to be working pretty hard to avoid such discussion, James.

>   If ICANN can identify some stuff that
>requires global decision making by a single body, the burden should be on
>ICANN to say what it is.

Actually, no.  ICANN represents a continuation of a model that has been in
successful operation for 15 years.  You want to change that model.  It is
fine that you want to change it, but the burden for establishing that the
change is appropriate is on you..

It is not the burden of ICANN, or anyone else, to "prove" that the existing
model is required.  It is the burden of those demanding change to prove
that the change is both required, practical and superior

>   And ICANN should allow local decision making when
>the issues do not require global policy making.

Fine.  You need to specify which issues those are and you need to explain
how the decentralization can be achieved practically.

>  We already have more than
>100 ccTLDS that are not regulated by ICANN.

Sorry, no.  The ccTLDs very much do derive from ICANN's central
administrative authority.  That you would think otherwise suggests that
there is a major disconnection between your model of DNS administration and
the reality that you so eagerly want us to attend to.  (In other words,
James, please heed your own criticisms.)

>   If ICANN disappeared tomorrow, no one would notice.

Probably not, but there would be hell to pay the day after tomorrow.

>    If ICANN wants to find a place to be useful, it needs
>to be more modest about what it insists of doing.

It is already quite modest.  The complaints about mission creep are based
on fear and fantasy, rather than any factual behaviors by ICANN.

Go ahead, James.  Provide factual data that disproves this observation.

>   It could play a role in
>doing some of the TLD coordination.   It shouldn't be czar of all TLD
>decisions.

James, you appear to believe that repeatedly uttering a desire is
equivalent to working through the details that make the desire
practical.  It isn't.  So rather than turning your requirements into a
constantly repeated mantra, please put in the effort that is required to
make it possible to see how things will actually work.

>    I shouldn't have to explain to the ICANN staff or Dave
>Crocker why it is feasible to make decisions locally, and coordinate
>minimalist globally.

Actually, yes you should, since you are so far failing to provide any basis
for understanding how things would work.

>   Pick up a phone a dial a phone number.  It works,
>globally.

Evidently you are not aware that that global number assignment is done in
exactly the same way as the DNS, beginning with a central authority making
country code assignments.

>    IP numbers are assigned by regional bodies.

Evidently you are not aware that that global IP number assignment is done
in exactly the same way as the DNS, beginning with a central authority
making regional assignments.

>ccTLDs deal with national governments.

Evidently you are not aware that that ccTLD assignment is done in exactly
the same way as gTLDs, beginning with a central authority making country
code assignments.

d/