[ncdnhc-discuss] Internet is global=we need central planning

James Love james.love at cptech.org
Wed May 1 18:48:14 CEST 2002

Maybe Dave Crocker is right.  Maybe the entire world has never figured out
how to coordinate any global allocation decisions without a single global
body making *all* of the decisions.   On the other hand, maybe Dave Crocker
is blind to the world around him, which has functioned for a long time
without such global central planning agencies.  Maybe he can't see the
connection between the world outside of ICANN and the world that ICANN wants
to create.   My advice is "wake up."  If ICANN can identify some stuff that
requires global decision making by a single body, the burden should be on
ICANN to say what it is.  And ICANN should allow local decision making when
the issues do not require global policy making.  We already have more than
100 ccTLDS that are not regulated by ICANN.  If ICANN disappeared tomorrow,
no one would notice.   If ICANN wants to find a place to be useful, it needs
to be more modest about what it insists of doing.  It could play a role in
doing some of the TLD coordination.   It shouldn't be czar of all TLD
decisions.  If ICANN can't share power, maybe ICANN should be killed, and we
should find a body that doesn't have to be the ultimate galaxy wide god of
all decisions.   I shouldn't have to explain to the ICANN staff or Dave
Crocker why it is feasible to make decisions locally, and coordinate
minimalist globally.   Pick up a phone a dial a phone number.  It works,
globally.    IP numbers are assigned by regional bodies.  ccTLDs deal with
national governments.  ISOC has local chapters.  Someone somewhere must have
the brains to draw the line between local and global decision making.

Jamie