[ncdnhc-discuss] Internet is global=we need central planning

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Wed May 1 18:09:10 CEST 2002

At 12:01 PM 5/1/2002 -0400, James Love wrote:
>       With regard to authorizing new TLDs, there is no compelling reason to
>have this entry industry regulated by a single global body,

If you know of an administrative scheme for making assignments that does
not rely on a single, logical point of control, please provide the details.

You will be happy to learn that you will probably be instantly awarded a
PhD in computer science.

>  and indeed few
>precedents to suggest this single global regulator is a good idea.

If you know of successful examples of alternative schemes, for this type of
administrative task, please provide them.

>Here are a few sections from my ICANN Reform comments on this point:

It is easy to state that one or another change is required.  What is more
difficult is to explain how those changes are practical and superior.  Not
surprisingly, you chose to limit yourself to the easy part.

(If you think that comments like #15 represent the required specification
detail, unfortunately they do not.)

d/