[ncdnhc-discuss] Board Positions on .ORG; Answers from V.Cerf -- full text

Jefsey Morfin jefsey at wanadoo.fr
Thu Mar 28 09:04:29 CET 2002

As BC and IPC Member (for that a non profit I chair is denied Membership to
the NCDNHC) I would have some comments.

1. I certainly support that proposition. A suffix is a community name. The
barbaric word "TLD" has no real meaning except in Mokapetris imagination.
We are in a real world. The common understanding has transformed the "com"
Tymnet customers into "commercial", the "net" Telenet subscribers in
network oriented users and the "org" general organisation group into "non
profit". This is an Internet Participant consensus. Businesses and IP
owners have participated into that as everyine else. There is no more no
less ground for this kind of common understanding that for the non legally
defined "good faith" in an UDRP.

2. the BC is a list of Telcos, Registrars, even a TLD Manager, business
organizations and of some SMEs. The IPC is a group of IP consultants.
Usually this does not help in getting a clear signal from the worldwide
Business and IP owners community. But here the call is for potential
opposition. I doubt that any serious and clear move towards the reduction
of the need of multiple registrations of the same name would not be
seriously considred. I think it could be usefull jurisprudence.

3. You talk about TM dillution. This is true. But there would be far less
dillution in having a separate possibility in the .org contract, than the
joint risk of having the WLS+UDRP clauses in the *same* contract. No one
but me opposed to what I see as a potentially catastrophic dillution: I
suppose that TMs are far more resillient to dillution than we commonly
expect as TL owners.

4. You talk about http://cocacola.org as the site of a CocaCola addicts
Club, selling Pepsi. I suppose this could fall under a clause in the UDRP
which could be of high interest. That you can question with drastic
restrictions the use of a TM registered as a DN in other communities
(TLDs).  The rationale - and I will be hated for that by many - is a
conflict of communities (people). A TLD Manager and a Dmain owners are
trustees of their communities (of DN holders for the TLD Manager, of
sub-domain holders for a DN Manager. The DNS is recursive here too).
Nothing has been though about the conflicts between these communities. The
interest is that it would permit not to register TMs in every TLD while
keeping the TM protected.

I wouild be interested in Jonathan Cohen's comments.
Jefsey