[ncdnhc-discuss] ICANN endorses controversial ALSC elections report, creates new r estructuring committee

Raul Echeberria raul at inia.org.uy
Thu Mar 14 20:35:03 CET 2002

On Thu, 14 Mar 2002, Chris Chiu wrote:

> At its meetings in Ghana, the Board of the Internet Corporation for Assigned
> Names and Numbers adopted a resolution stating that the organization should
> have an electoral structure "of the kind recommended in the ALSC report."

Dear Chris:

I left Accra before de Board meeting, then my views could be wrong, but I
understand that the Board didn't endorse "an electoral structure of the
kind recommended in the ALSC report"

The two references to the election in the Board resolution are:

1) in the ninth Whereas, when says "the general public interest must be
represented in the ICANN policymaking process and on its board"

2) in the last two whereas, saying that Global Elections are not
recommendables;

In the Resolved [02.16] where mention "..of the kind recommended in the
ALSC report" isin relation with "..mechanism of meaningful, informed
participation by Internet users..." is not about the electoral structures.

The problem now is not 6-9. The problem is bigger.

Raul