[ncdnhc-discuss] ISOC to bid on .org

James Love james.love at cptech.org
Sat Jun 8 13:20:57 CEST 2002

I personally am not a hard liner on the domain name issue, and think
instead that this would be a good way to begin, because the combination of
having a domain and the current whois policy provides a low cost
registration system for voters, and is already designed to identify unique
individuals.   The fact that it is "working" in the CIRA is relevant
information.  The fact that Jonathan Cohen is on both the CIRA and the
ICANN board illustrates that ICANN board me be over reacting to Karl and
Andy's elections.
I'm not really a hard liner even on the issue of at large elections.  I
can imagine ways of organizing a shrunken ICANN where elections really are
not needed, or other systems of electing a board would be ok.  The details
are everything.   But the idea that elections are not feasible or don't
produce good board members isn't true empirically, either for ICANN or the
CIRA.  ICANN would buy a lot of good will by keeping some board seats
through an elected at large, starting with domain name holders, like the
CIRA system, and perhaps enfranchising first the gTLD domain holders, if
the ccTLD folks drop out or don't want to cooperate in a voting system.
If the Reform Committe was actually listening to feedback and seaking to
compromise, it would allocate seats on the board to an at large election.
If it doesn't, it is taking a confrontational approach.
When will we get the details on the NomCom?  This is, of course, the way
the ICANN BOD wants to be controlled.
 Jamie