[ncdnhc-discuss] ISOC to bid on .org

Kent Crispin kent at songbird.com
Sat Jun 8 16:38:29 CEST 2002

On Sat, Jun 08, 2002 at 07:20:57AM -0400, James Love wrote:
> I personally am not a hard liner on the domain name issue, and think
> instead that this would be a good way to begin, because the combination of
> having a domain and the current whois policy provides a low cost
> registration system for voters, and is already designed to identify unique
> individuals.

Does this mean that you are strongly in favor of accurate, public whois
data?

>   The fact that it is "working" in the CIRA is relevant
> information.

Nope.  Not "fact".

1) It is not a "fact" that it is "working" for CIRA - the low turnouts
raise some serious questions that you and Hans wave away because it
doesn't fit with your ideology.
2) It is not a "fact" that the CIRA elections are relevant to ICANN.

>  The fact that Jonathan Cohen is on both the CIRA and the
> ICANN board illustrates that ICANN board me be over reacting to Karl and
> Andy's elections.

Nope.  Not fact that Jonathan Cohen's positions illustrates anything
about the ICANN's boards reactions.  The quality of the elected
directors is simply a red herring.  The issue is the director selection
process, not the current directors.

> I'm not really a hard liner even on the issue of at large elections.  I
> can imagine ways of organizing a shrunken ICANN where elections really are
> not needed, or other systems of electing a board would be ok.  The details
> are everything.   But the idea that elections are not feasible or don't
> produce good board members isn't true empirically, either for ICANN or the
> CIRA.

You mixed up 4 different things; I'll just address one: the empirical
evidence from the ICANN elections is very strong that they are simply
not feasible, and that is well documented -- eg, the method of voter
identification (physical mail) simply didn't work (there was a huge
amount of returned mail from China, for example).

--
Kent Crispin                               "Be good, and you will be
kent at songbird.com                          lonesome."  -- Mark Twain