[ncdnhc-discuss] ISOC to bid on .org

James Love james.love at cptech.org
Sat Jun 8 13:09:34 CEST 2002

Alejandro, saying people were happy might be very good reasoning, if ICANN
had an elected board of directors.  Then it would be reasonable to assume
that if ICANN did screw up, people would take a greater interest, and vote
in some new board members.
The comparisons with the voter turn-out are not exactly the same in any
case.   There were not hundreds of millions of registered voters, and
getting registered wasn't soemthing that many people know about, and even
when they did, sometimes it didn't work.  Same with voting, which
frequently crashed.
More important, how large a turnout would be needed to satisfy concerns
over capture?  I think not too many.   Every 1 percent of a million domain
name registrations is 10,000 votes.   If you have even 1 percent of .org
and .com registrations, a GNSO that allowed domain owners to vote would
have a lot of votes.  More than could be captured by anyone on the NCC
list.
My guess is that the larger the turnout, the worse for those who want to
block introduction of new TLDs and who want to turn ICANN into an IP
enforcement agency.  If we continued to have elections, we would find out.

  Jamie