[ncdnhc-discuss] ICANN, ISOC, NomCom, Reform into proper perspectives

J-F C. (Jefsey) Morfin jefsey at club-internet.fr
Sun Jun 9 10:52:51 CEST 2002

On 17:44 07/06/02, Hans Klein said:
>If the ICANN board's actions were less controversial (I believe this is
>definitely possible), then ICANN elections would become boring.   That has
>always been everyone's goal: boring elections that indicate that ICANN is
>staying out of controversy.
>
>Instead, ICANN has proposed to eliminate the elections.  So now we can
>spend another year or two redesigning this institution or perhaps
>ultimately junking it.

Dear Hans,
let try to get the things straight. The Internet was first the
JonPostelNet, a private network system, centrally managed through the DNS
registrations, open to the public and owned by the USG. To organize it the
USG signed a cooperative contract with NetSol, got the RIRs established,
trusted the ISOC enough to run the IETF, IAB, etc. while the root server
system was working fine by itself and the IANA was not a big pain for them
to manage with a single secretary.

So there were no real problem with status-quo. Hence the feeling among the
main initial partners that status-quo is stability and reliability. Hence
the strategy to keep us talking on the way we should talk rather than
talking about what we have to do.

Yet, there were some issues to be addressed due to the international and
usage growth: ccTLDs, @large, risks on NetSols due to its new size. This
called for clarification of the relations with the ccTLDs, attention paid
to the individual users, diversification of the contractors, protection of
the IP rights. Only a private legal interface could sign quickly all the
contracts it required (Joe Sims calls the ICANN a DNS dynamic).

The past years have shown a few errors of this approach which are to be tuned.

1. the ISOC had not the adequate structure to address the resulting
difference in size and in number of the interested parties. This is
currently addressed.

2. the JonPostelNet is actually only a major and decreasing part of the
international network. So; the correct approach is a) to manage the JPN by
its own, b) to relate with the other parts of the network system through an
adapted interface. This is what the Reform is about with a separated CNSO
for the ccTLDs and international stakeholders (not only the ccTLDs as
unique foreign partners, but everyone).

3. the individual users are too many, too diversified. Its is not possible
to relate with them directly, so a Congress of delegates is needed. This is
the proposed NomCom the composition and the size of which will be determining.

4. the regulated contractor diversification suffered from being labeled
"competition". However it is now established with alternatives to "com" and
"net", a direct support of individuals (name), and a few test beds about
specialized TLDs. It can now be digested through the GNSO.

5. the 1995 G7 industry leaders' general demands about IP rights has been
satisfied through the UDRP. The GNSO should permit to contain the new
possible problem (WLS) among registries.

6. giving the IANA and the relations with the SSRAC to the ICANN was a good
way to legitimize it, but a direct involvement lead to too much rigidity;
blocking the DNS necessary evolution. The Reform Committee seems to have a
correct approach: to keep a certain control on the policy definition but
delegating operations. Yet they have no working method for this policy
definition yet.

The three problems we have to address together at the structural level are :

1. the NomCom organization, which has to be in some way the Congress of the
Internet.
2. the CNSO which may be the major issue if it tries to impeach the ccTLDs
from allying elsewhere.
3. the ICP preparation and consensus formation system

But the infrastructural level - the one IMHO which really counts (without a
network there is no need to know how to organize it) - is still to be
addressed. This can be inside or outside of the ICANN. My feeling is that
there is confusion there. The reform committee thinks (IMHO) correctly that
it is not in the ICANN field of concern but that the ICANN may help, the
GAC (EEC report) seems to consider that this is its own role to participate
into in within the ICANN.

This concerns:

1. the bandwidth availability
     the Internet has become a major single customer to the Telcos
industry. This creates a lot of risks on both sides. The current macro
situation is not stable. A "dot-telecom" dialog is to develop urgently. A
concerted polylog (Telcos, Internet, content, society, Govs) is to be
established with all the stakeholders about the type of applications they
intend to develop and therefore about the needed bandwidth and the advised
technological/marketing alliances. The WSIS preparation may help.

2. the delegation of the IANA functions
     - addresses in continuity with other systems
     - standards and major applications (like whois)
     - namespaces administration
     a cooperation with the ITU/T should be carefully investigated

3. the evolution of the DNS system.
     - parallel root servers systems deployment
     - root obsolescence and replacement by namespace directory services
     - value added and extended features
     governments, entrepreneurs and probably Telcos will probably take the
lead if ICANN does not move extremely quickly.

jfc