[ncdnhc-discuss] ISOC to bid on .org

Hans Klein hans.klein at pubpolicy.gatech.edu
Sat Jun 8 06:08:26 CEST 2002

Hola, Alejandro!

Since the year 2000 elections were the first ever, the numbers were a bit
unusual -- smaller than one would expect (in the long run) for a voter
reform movement.

In general, elections could serve well as a mechanism for board
accountability.  Were ICANN to make few controversial actions, then its
elections would attract little attention.  Elections serve mostly as insurance.

The mistake the board has made is to confuse a voter movement to enforce
accountability with electoral irresponsibility.  Karl and Andy were exactly
the right people to elect to the board in 2000.  Voter perceived ICANN as
"out of control," and they held ICANN accountable by electing
reformers.  The system worked.

The solution is not to reject Karl and Andy or elections in general.  It is
to heed the message that they bring.

Alejandro, I know that you work in ICANN from good motives.  I just wish
you could see that ICANN's problems could be most quickly solved if the
staff and board would replace the current strategy of resistance with one
of consensus-building.  ICANN could then become boring!

Hans