[ncdnhc-discuss] Second Status Report on Implementation of Evolution and Reform

YJ Park yjpark at myepark.com
Thu Jul 25 17:11:41 CEST 2002

Dear Jefsey,

> I guess that if the ERC wanted assistance instead of support it would
> behave differently. I am afraid that the only result of this attitude will
> kill the consensus we consensually agreed the ICANN needed to  get out of
> its smoke screen "by surprise management" crisis.

I do share your concern in the way assistance for ERC was sought.

> The result is that most probably the ICANN is to end up as an
> "ICANN meetings" organizer, with little or no bearing on what is not the
> strict ".arpa" namespace managerment. This will obviously fully confrom
> with the RFC 920 but it will call for the ITU-I to be created at some stage,
> while ity could have been the ITU-IANA.

Observing some debates and proposals with respect to ITU in this context,
I wonder whether Internet users and other interest groups really want their
voices to be represented by the governments folks who don't really interact
with public at-large in general.

> The challenge we now have is to organize enough to get that ITU-I rolling
> in a way it cooperates with the ailing Telecomunication industry, rather
> than depending from it. Obvioulsy WorldCom helps a lot. But this will
> happen through network expansion and innovation rather than by by-laws
> discussions.

I wish I could have such confidence you do have about the future....

Regards,
YJ