[ncdnhc-discuss] Competition and the ORG report

Milton Mueller Mueller at syr.edu
Thu Jan 24 19:05:34 CET 2002

Rob,

Five years from now is irrelevant to the decision as to who
gets the initial delegation. As to other registries, I think you
are incorrect: if you think that attempts by major registries to
acquire or perform contract services for other TLDs will
not attract antitrust scrutiny at the national level or
attention from ICANN if it involves a reassignment of the
contract you are dreaming.

If you are indeed "all for promoting competition" you might
tell me what policies or mechanisms you would favor.
Keeping dominant providers away from the initial
delegation of .org just seems like a no-brainer to me.

>>> Rob Courtney <rob at cdt.org> 01/24/02 10:19AM >>>
What about in five years? Hard to say whether there will even be a
dominant provider (in which case would this stipulation cease its
effect?) or whether it will be the same one. The impact of this
statement could be unpredicted.

As I say, I am all for promoting competition but I am not sure this
is the best mechanism. I'm not clear on why the .org operator should
be required to operate under this constraint, when the other gTLDs
aren't.