[ncdnhc-discuss] Re: [ncdnhc-announce] ORG divestiture policy nears completion!

Don Heath heath at isoc.org
Sat Jan 5 00:42:34 CET 2002

At 11:36 AM 1/4/02 -0500, Milton Mueller wrote:
>The most recent draft of the policy on .org
>divestiture is attached to the end of this message.
>Your NCDNHC representatives have played a major
>role in drafting this statement and we think it is
>a good policy. Hopefully it will be passed by the
>Names Council January 17. We may need to call
>on your to express support.
>
>Let me update you on some of the remaining issues.
>
>The current draft seems to command solid support from all
>constituencies except Ken Stubbs, who purports to
>represent the registrars.

I hear differently.  I think there are only a few "committed" to the
current draft - and certainly more that Ken Stubbs who are against.

>Stubbs (and perhaps other registrars, but I am not sure)
>is concerned with Section 1a, which states that
>the .org TLD should be delegated to an organization
>"controlled by noncommercial .org registrants."
>
>He would like to strike the word "noncommercial."
>In other words, he wants to move as far away from
>the concept of sponsorship as possible, and possibily
>open up .org to management by a commercially focused
>nonprofit. I think we can ALL agree that the wording of
>(1a) MUST remain the way it is, and that the management
>of .org should be in solidly noncommercial hands.

 From much of what I have gleaned, it seems as though there is a concerted
effort to draft a document that specifically would exclude ISOC.  ISOC, of
course, is a non profit entity and one which would fulfill the role
well.  ISOC is anything but "commercially focused."

>Stubbs also opposes section 1c, which specifies that
>"Applicants should propose governance structures for the .org
>TLD that provide all .org registrants with the opportunity to directly
>participate in the selection of officers and/or policy-making council
>members." Stubbs is allergic to democracy, and argues that giving
>registrants control over the registry management, specifically the
>election of officers, is totally undesirable. He literally said that
>it would produce "crazy results" like the ICANN At-large elections.

Well, wait a minute.  Suppose a non profit organization decided to enter
the fray, they were selected, and then found themselves in a position where
the registrants voted out the senior management provided by the selected
organization.  I can tell you that any entity desiring to be selected as
the sponsoring organization for the .ORG registry, would be at least
slightly frightened by such logic.

>I think that position, also would be almost unanimously rejected
>by members of this constituency. But let me know if you disagree.

This is a little ambiguous.  Are you saying we would reject the Stubbs
position?  Or the position you are proposing?  I for one, would certainly
not find myself in opposition to the Stubbs position as reported by you.

By way of full disclosure, I have just recently joined the board of
Afilias, but in this matter, my interest resides with fully with ISOC.

A few more comments below.

Don

>=====
>
>  NAMES COUNCIL .ORG DIVESTITURE TASK FORCE
>  v 5.2 (January 4, 2002)
>
>  The .org registry should be operated for the benefit of the worldwide
>  community of organizations, groups, and individuals engaged in
>  noncommercial communication via the Internet. Responsibility for .org
>  administration should be delegated to a non-profit organization that has
>  widespread support from and acts on behalf of that community.

I might point out that ISOC fits this role to a tee! ;-)

>  The notions of sponsorship and restriction, as applied elsewhere in the
>  gTLD process, do not provide an adequate framework for the .org
>  divestiture. Some clear statement of administrative and marketing
>  practices will be necessary but this must not result in an exclusive
>  boundary being set around the community of eligible registrants. The
>  manner in which the normative guidelines are labeled is not a primary
>  consideration, but the framework should include all the points below.
>
>  1. Characteristics of the Organization
>
>  1a. The initial delegation of the .org TLD should be to a non-profit
>  organization that is controlled by noncommercial .org registrants. We
>  recognize that noncommercial registrants do not have uniform views
>  about policy and management, and that no single organization can fully
>  encompass the diversity of global civil society. Nevertheless, applicant
>  organizations should be able to demonstrate support and participation
>  from a significant number of international noncommercial .org
>  registrants. The organization's policies and practices should strive to be
>  responsive to and supportive of the noncommercial Internet user
>  community, and reflect as much of its diversity as possible.

This is VERY exclusive and looks as though it was designed to fit some
organization that is yet to be formed!?!?!