[ncdnhc-discuss] ORG divestiture policy nears completion!

Milton Mueller Mueller at syr.edu
Fri Jan 4 17:36:24 CET 2002

The most recent draft of the policy on .org
divestiture is attached to the end of this message.
Your NCDNHC representatives have played a major
role in drafting this statement and we think it is
a good policy. Hopefully it will be passed by the
Names Council January 17. We may need to call
on your to express support.

Let me update you on some of the remaining issues.

The current draft seems to command solid support from all
constituencies except Ken Stubbs, who purports to
represent the registrars.

Stubbs (and perhaps other registrars, but I am not sure)
is concerned with Section 1a, which states that
the .org TLD should be delegated to an organization
"controlled by noncommercial .org registrants."

He would like to strike the word "noncommercial."
In other words, he wants to move as far away from
the concept of sponsorship as possible, and possibily
open up .org to management by a commercially focused
nonprofit. I think we can ALL agree that the wording of
(1a) MUST remain the way it is, and that the management
of .org should be in solidly noncommercial hands.

Stubbs also opposes section 1c, which specifies that
"Applicants should propose governance structures for the .org
TLD that provide all .org registrants with the opportunity to directly
participate in the selection of officers and/or policy-making council
members." Stubbs is allergic to democracy, and argues that giving
registrants control over the registry management, specifically the
election of officers, is totally undesirable. He literally said that
it would produce "crazy results" like the ICANN At-large elections.

I think that position, also would be almost unanimously rejected
by members of this constituency. But let me know if you disagree.

=====

 NAMES COUNCIL .ORG DIVESTITURE TASK FORCE
 v 5.2 (January 4, 2002)

 The .org registry should be operated for the benefit of the worldwide
 community of organizations, groups, and individuals engaged in
 noncommercial communication via the Internet. Responsibility for .org
 administration should be delegated to a non-profit organization that has
 widespread support from and acts on behalf of that community.

 The notions of sponsorship and restriction, as applied elsewhere in the
 gTLD process, do not provide an adequate framework for the .org
 divestiture. Some clear statement of administrative and marketing
 practices will be necessary but this must not result in an exclusive
 boundary being set around the community of eligible registrants. The
 manner in which the normative guidelines are labeled is not a primary
 consideration, but the framework should include all the points below.

 1. Characteristics of the Organization

 1a. The initial delegation of the .org TLD should be to a non-profit
 organization that is controlled by noncommercial .org registrants. We
 recognize that noncommercial registrants do not have uniform views
 about policy and management, and that no single organization can fully
 encompass the diversity of global civil society. Nevertheless, applicant
 organizations should be able to demonstrate support and participation
 from a significant number of international noncommercial .org
 registrants. The organization's policies and practices should strive to be
 responsive to and supportive of the noncommercial Internet user
 community, and reflect as much of its diversity as possible.

 1b. Applicants for operation of the .org registry should be recognized
non-profit entities (including corporations, associations, partnerships or
 cooperatives as those terms are defined in the legal jurisdiction in which
 the organization is established). Subcontracting of operational functions
 to for-profit providers is permitted.

 1c. Applicants should propose governance structures for the .org TLD
 that provide all .org registrants with the opportunity to directly
 participate in the selection of officers and/or policy-making council
 members. The bylaws should provide explicitly for an open,
 transparent and participatory process by which .org operating policies
 are initiated, reviewed and revised in a manner which reflects the
 interests of .org domain name holders and is consistent with the terms
 of its registry agreement with  ICANN.

 1d. In order to permit the largest number of qualified non-profit
 organizations to compete for award of the .org TLD contract, the Board
 should require no more than the equivalent of USD$200,000 in
 demonstrated financial resources from applicants.

 2. Policy Guidelines for Applicants

 2a. Definition of the .org community
 Each applicant organization should include in its application a definition
 of the relevant community for which names in the .org TLD are
 intended, detailing the types of registrants who constitute the target
 market for .org, and proposing marketing and branding practices
 oriented toward that community.

 The definition of the relevant community should be much broader than
 simply formal non-profit organizations. It must also include individuals
 and groups seeking an outlet for noncommercial expression and
 information exchange, unincorporated cultural, educational and political
 organizations, and business partnerships with non-profits and
 community groups for social initiatives.

 2b. No eligibility requirements
 Dot org will continue to be operated without eligibility requirements.
 With a definition of the served community and appropriate marketing
 practices in place, the organization and the registrars should rely
 entirely on end-user choice to determine who registers in .org.

 Specifically, applicants:
 * Must not propose to evict existing registrants who do not conform to
 its target community. Current registrants must not have their
 registrations cancelled nor should they be denied the opportunity to
 renew their names or transfer them to others.

 * Must not attempt to impose any new prior restrictions on people or
 organizations attempting to register names, or propose any new dispute
 initiation procedures that could result in the cancellation of domain