[ncdnhc-discuss] Fwd: [nc-whois] Both Transfers and WHOIS Reports are pos...

KathrynKL at aol.com KathrynKL at aol.com
Mon Dec 2 18:07:12 CET 2002

Thank you, Sarah, for your work on this Task Force.  I know you have done a
lot -- and it would be great if you could share with the NCC an idea of the
many privacy initiatives and positions you have urged on the Task Force.

As I have shared with you and others, Marilyn Cade's (yes, I know you are
monitoring this list, Marilyn), view of the world is very different than
mine. When I think of the WHOIS, I think of the individuals, political
organization leaders, and others who use the Net to share important
noncommercial/personal/political ideas, but do not necessarily want to lose
their personal privacy to do so.  Like telephone numbers, we need an
"unlisted" version of the WHOIS registration for noncommercial domain name
registrants.

But I did not see this idea reflected in the WHOIS report.  Sarah, could you
share with us your view of the WHOIS report, how it reflects the ideas you
put forward, and what you would change to make it a worthwhile report from
the view of EPIC?

thanks for all your work,
kathy kleiman acm-igp