[ncdnhc-discuss] ICANN Reform: Role of ITU

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Tue Apr 30 22:46:45 CEST 2002

At 01:46 PM 4/30/2002 -0400, Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law wrote:
>We are not limited to those choices.  Having ICANN devolve and share power
>regionally and functionally produces a better outcome to either of these
>Hobson's choices.

This line of thinking continues to ignore two, fundamental constraints:

1.  The hierarchical nature of the DNS requires a single, logical control
over allocation/assignment policy.  Any effort to "devolve and share power"
must be designed in a way that is compatible with this technical
constraint.  However no proposal for this has been put forward to permit
honest, diligent analysis of its operational feasibility.

2.  The ability to reach consensus about things is not much better at the
regional level than it is at the global level.  For one thing, the
construct of a "region" is often quite artificial.  For another, members of
a region often have widely disparate needs and goals.  Again, any proposal
for devolution and sharing of power needs to attend to this core fact of life.

d/

Dave Crocker <mailto:dave at tribalwise.com>
TribalWise, Inc. <http://www.tribalwise.com>
tel +1.408.246.8253; fax +1.408.850.1850