[ncdnhc-discuss] One suggestion for .ORG TF participant!

Kent Crispin kent at songbird.com
Sat Apr 27 15:18:12 CEST 2002

On Fri, Apr 26, 2002 at 09:15:21PM -0400, James Love wrote:
> Ok Kent.  Fine.  Require the non-profits to put up $35 thousand dollars to
> entry the .org lottery, knowing that this will be a beauty contest, decided
> by the board. Then be real suprised when nearly ever bid is some deal
> where an operator is putting up the money, that the .org domain holders
> don't benefit from real cometition among operators.....  And give it to the
> non-profit with the most friends on the board, or whatever....     You guys
> have the votes, you have the staff, etc...... do what you want.
> Jamie

I'm sorry, but that's a bit "over the top" -- you must be responding to
some inner demon.

The fact is that the idea of separating the operator and sponsor bids
has been around for a very long time.  It (and multiple variations) was
proposed before the terms "operator" and "sponsor" were in vogue, before
there even was an ICANN.  It's possibly a good idea, but like almost all
these ideas, there are very complex pros and cons.

My note was simply to point out some of those.  I could just as easily
argue your side of the case -- in fact, if someone had the patience they
could probably dig through old list archives and find places where I
*have* argued your side.  At this point I'm completely neutral --
whether it is a good idea or not really seems to me to depend on
details, facts, and probabilities that are not known, and may not be
knowable.

To summarize: this really is an area where "the devil is in the
details".  To be useful, the discussion must deal with details.

Kent

--
Kent Crispin                               "Be good, and you will be
Technical Support Manager, ICANN            lonesome."