[ncdnhc-discuss] One suggestion for .ORG TF participant!

Kent Crispin kent at songbird.com
Sat Apr 27 02:09:04 CEST 2002

On Thu, Apr 25, 2002 at 10:30:22PM -0400, James Love wrote:
>       Well, actually in the second stage, the "choice" could be the Non-
> Profit, subject to approval by ICANN's due diligence, or the other way
> around -- ICANN could pick the operator, subject to approval by the non-
> profit.  I sort of like the second approach, if it was done by a
> competitive bid among qualified bidders.  That way the non-profit could not
> possibily be a front for the operator.

What happens if the non-profit and ICANN can't come to an agreement on
the operator? While combining the operator and sponsor up front might
open more doors for collusion, not allowing them to connect early on
has significant drawbacks, as well.

Moreover, one thing that has become abundantly clear here is that there
are non-profits that are aggressively and proudly clueless about
operational concerns, and working through the exercise of finding an
operator up front would tend to weed those out.

--
Kent Crispin                               "Be good, and you will be
Technical Support Manager, ICANN            lonesome."