[ncdnhc-discuss] One suggestion for .ORG TF participant!

James Love james.love at cptech.org
Fri Apr 26 04:30:22 CEST 2002

> At 04:29 AM 4/25/2002 -0400, James Love wrote:
>>     The idea of a two stage bid is to have the technical operator
>>     selected
>>after the non-profit is selected.  The ICANN staff could play its
>>traditional role of due diligence on the second stage operator on the
>>technical an financial issues that it focused on in the new TLD
>>round...
>
> 1.  You seem to be missing the point that competence with technical
> operations is the primary concern when operating critical
> infrastructure  services.  It is not something that can be treated as
> secondary, as your  model attempts.

    Dave, you act is if this if there are not a lot of firms that can do
this.  In fact, lots of firms operator big TLDs already, if you include the
ccTLDS.   Making it a requirement that the firm be wiz bang competent is
fine.

> 2.  You did not really respond to the concern I raised that the
> two-stage  model effectively eliminates any control over the choice.
> In your model,  by the time the operator is chosen, ICANN cannot
> possibly have any  meaningful control over the choice.

      Well, actually in the second stage, the "choice" could be the Non-
Profit, subject to approval by ICANN's due diligence, or the other way
around -- ICANN could pick the operator, subject to approval by the non-
profit.  I sort of like the second approach, if it was done by a
competitive bid among qualified bidders.  That way the non-profit could not
possibily be a front for the operator.

  Jamie

--
James Love