[ncdnhc-discuss] Latest NC draft

Alejandro Pisanty - DGSCA y FQ, UNAM apisan at servidor.unam.mx
Wed Apr 24 20:24:41 CEST 2002

Milton, and all,

On Wed, 24 Apr 2002, Milton Mueller wrote:

> > The practical
> > question for me is, how does ICANN have to be constituted and operated to
> > fend off this trouble in its limited domain.
>
> A) Very simple, really. Fix the number of new TLD additions
> annually. Make the approval of applications for new TLDs
> completely independent of regulatory policies regarding domain
> names. Use entirely objective technical, escrow and financial
> criteria for approve new domains. Leave all the other issues
> to national governments and international treaties.

It would be helpful to flesh out this idea. The way you have formulated it
leaves so much out that serious work must accompany the dogma. Like you've
said, the toil of drafting etc.

> > What I find far-fetched is
> >that a copyright protector (of content) go to "shut off" a domain name,
> >though admittedly not inconceivable.
>
> Alejandro, sometimes your ignorance is frightening.

Remark does not go unnoticed. Connection with civility questioned. Your
reading-challenged view is
acknowledged. Flame war left for later. Read on.

> Would you like me to send you specific copies of UDRP
> decisions or ACPA cases in which domain names have
> been challenged on what are essentially copyright
> infringement grounds? Would you like me to provide a
> URL to the first WIPO report of 1999 which explicitly
> advanced this scenario? Would you like to be put in
> touch with Steve Metalitz of the Copyright Domain Name
> Coalition?

No, you don't have to send them. You have to send me the ones where this
view has succeeded, and tell us what structures are needed to avoid that.
BTW I *am* in contact with Steve and many others, and have asked them the
converse, i.e. to tell us what are the limits of mission creep in their
side of the field.

> > if this is a realistic
> > scenario, how does ICANN have to be constituted to make this impossible?
>
> See paragraph A) above.

As you may have noticed, I did, and did not find it useful enough.

Alejandro Pisanty