[ncdnhc-discuss] Latest NC draft

Milton Mueller Mueller at syr.edu
Wed Apr 24 17:08:22 CEST 2002

>>> "Alejandro Pisanty - DGSCA y FQ, UNAM" <apisan at servidor.unam.mx> 04/24/02 12:32AM >>>
> The practical
> question for me is, how does ICANN have to be constituted and operated to
> fend off this trouble in its limited domain.

A) Very simple, really. Fix the number of new TLD additions
annually. Make the approval of applications for new TLDs
completely independent of regulatory policies regarding domain
names. Use entirely objective technical, escrow and financial
criteria for approve new domains. Leave all the other issues
to national governments and international treaties.

> What I find far-fetched is
>that a copyright protector (of content) go to "shut off" a domain name,
>though admittedly not inconceivable.

Alejandro, sometimes your ignorance is frightening.
Would you like me to send you specific copies of UDRP
decisions or ACPA cases in which domain names have
been challenged on what are essentially copyright
infringement grounds? Would you like me to provide a
URL to the first WIPO report of 1999 which explicitly
advanced this scenario? Would you like to be put in
touch with Steve Metalitz of the Copyright Domain Name
Coalition?

> if this is a realistic
> scenario, how does ICANN have to be constituted to make this impossible?

See paragraph A) above.

--MM